Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What's in a name?

There is a reason behind naming him Arnold.  For those of you that have known me long enough, you know I tend to name important things in my life.  While this tumor may not be important in a positive way in my life, he is in my life and is changing it.  

I also thought it would be so much easier to refer to a name than saying something like, "My acoustic neuroma," which is a mouthful.  Of course as I was doing my internet research I also found that "acoustic neuroma" is a complete misnomer and it should be called a "vestibular schwannoma".  Technically it could get to be a complete mouthful of medical terms that really mean nothing to anyone anyway.  So why not a name?

I believe he technically is considered a brain tumor, even though he isn't actually growing on my brain.  Whenever I think of a brain tumor, the first thing I think of is Arnold Schwarzenegger in "Kindergarten Cop".  For those of you that have no idea what I'm and talking about, a video for you: 


Yes, he actually is a tumor.  No, I don't get headaches from him now but post surgery I plan to have plenty of headaches.  Not so much from Arnold but from the large hole they have to drill into my skull to get to him to help him move out.  Probably not the most precise correlation, but the way I think it works.  So, my acoustic neuroma is named Arnold after Arnold Schwarzenegger and his immortal words, "It's not a toomah!"

No comments:

Post a Comment