Saturday, May 11, 2013

...and then there was coffee!!

Saturday May 11, 2013
 
It has been three weeks and a couple of days since my surgery.  I finally had my first cup of coffee today.  It tasted different, but was enjoyable.  Unfortunately I forgot about the caffeine factor.  Thankfully, my coffee is already mixed half regular, half decaf.  After three weeks of no caffeine, I am definitely very sensitive to it.  So, looks like I will be up for awhile this morning.
 

Until just this past Monday, I have not really felt like writing or doing much of anything.  My recovery was marked with bad and less bad days.  I was constantly sick to my stomach and each day was a struggle to find something that I wanted and could eat.  Fruit and baby carrots always seemed to go down well.  Other food mostly just tasted salty and often I could only eat a few bites if at all.
 

I had periods of energy, followed by long naps.  Many of my mornings I was able to schedule a visitor, which forced me to be out of bed and upright for a period of time. 
 

Each day the spinning and swimming of the world slowly decreased.  I was able to walk myself up and down my street a little after two weeks.  It did not take much, though, for me to "over do it" and need a long rest.

I attribute most of my feeling sick to the steroid I was on to decrease swelling (dexamethasone).  My last dose was last Friday and I expected to feel much better after that.  Actually, it took all weekend.  


Monday finally saw me no longer sick to my stomach or nauseated.  Since then I have steadily been able to eat more and have not been so limited in what I can eat.  My taste buds are slowly coming back to normal and food is starting to almost taste as I would expect it.
 

Pain management for my head has been minimal.  I have had a few days where I have had headaches, but nothing too severe.  Those are easily managed with Tylenol and ibuprofen.
 

My stability had improved greatly.  My head still swims as I look side to side, but every day that improves.  I am moving and walking more normally, though I still take things slow. 
 

Car rides are getting better as well.  In the beginning, I could not keep my eyes from bouncing.  I felt like my internal shock absorbers had lost all dampening capabilities.  We would hit a bump and everything would just keep bouncing.  With every car ride, though, this has improved and I dread getting in the car less and less. 
 

Today I feel there is hope for normalcy.  The world is becoming more and more stable.  My energy is starting to return.  My body is moving more normal every day.  And, most importantly, I can drink coffee again.

No comments:

Post a Comment